Addicted to Music | Music • TV • Drama | Junkie

March 28, 2016

Remember: War of the Son - Drama Review

Contain Spoilers


"Remember: War of the Son리멤버아들의 전쟁is a melodrama/ legal thriller which aired in Korea from  December 2015 to February 2016. Yoo Seung Ho, Park Sung Woong, Park Min Young, and Nam Gung Min are the main actors in this drama.

PLOT SUMMARY:
"Seo Jin-woo has a special condition called Hyperthymesia which allows him to remember almost every day in perfect detail. While his father, Seo Jae-hyuk on the other hand, developed an Alzheimer's disease, making him lose his memories. When Seo Jae-hyuk was wrongfully convicted of murder, Jin-woo vows to prove innocence of his father. Four years later, Jin-woo becomes a lawyer to put the real criminal behind bars but bribery, corruption, and betrayals would not give him an easy road to justice. Will Jin-woo be able to finally win the truth when he himself, gets diagnosed by Alzheimer's?" (Wiki)
MAIN CAST:

 Yoo Seung Ho as Seo Jin Woo

 Park Sung Woong as Park Dong Ho

 Park Min Young as Lee In Ah

 Nam Gung Min as Nam Gyu Man

RATING:
5 out of 5

That's right 5 law books out of 5! I can see why this drama had such good responses!

PERSONAL THOUGHTS:

The powerful vs. the powerless.

This Easter weekend I settled for a legal thriller. These types of dramas are also one of my favourite genres. I very much enjoyed this drama especially the story-line and character development. The idea and the way it was executed was very well done.

Side note though, I feel like the plot would make the perfect movie.

Actors, Actresses:

Yoo Seung Ho - I remember him from "Missing You" and Mr. Jade Emperor from "Arang and the Magistrate". I have no complains about him because I know he's a good actor. Props to all his crying scenes, it must have been hard. The scenes where he has his temporary memory loss was done really well too. I'm still in denial that he's a year younger than me... he can't be a 93er. Still in denial and can someone tell me why he's called Little Si Ji Sub? They don't really resemble each other in my opinion.

Park Min Young - I've watched "City Hunter" a long time ago but the most recent drama I've seen her in was "Healer". I'm sorry but I still ship you with Ji Chang Wook. Maybe because there wasn't such an emphasis of your relationship with Yoo Seung Ho (which I'm totally okay with) but I still can't get over Healer couple! Comparing the two characters though, I feel like I like her character in "Remember" better than in "Healer".

Nam Gung Min - makes one hell of a psychopath. I only knew about him from We Got Married. I haven't seen him in anything else but wow...just wow. He's a really good actor. He makes a good evil character!

Plot, Characters: 

Talk about betrayal to the max! I hate to say it but would it be that far from reality? Money can make people twist what they think is morally right, especially if a) they're desperate for power and money or b) when family is involved. I feel like this story is pretty realistic (to some extent). I'm sure we've all heard of similar stories of people manipulating the law and getting away with things because they have money. I feel like in our society the idea of money equals power is true in some ways.

I felt that the characters were developed really well. This was due to both the actors and actresses and the story-line. The pity you feel for both Seo Jae Hyuk and Seo Jin Woo was done just right. It was just good okay! :p The idea of memory loss is a heartbreaking idea.

One thing that surprised me a bit, which was a positive thing, was that there wasn't much focus on the relationship between Lee In Ah and Seo Jin Woo. Their love-line developed more in the last 5 or 6 episodes. This was a nice change for once. The focus of the story was actually on the case and Seo Jin Woo and not the love-line. I give this a thumbs up.

We've got to talk about the ending. Of course there were some predictable aspects of the ending; bad guys get what they deserve and everything works out for the good characters. Although Nam Gyu Man deserved what he got, you can't help but feel pity for him. He gets abandoned by, not only his followers, but also his dad. This leads to his suicide which is kind of sad. I usually don't like open ended endings but I'll let this one pass this time. There is some ambiguity for the relationship between Seo Jin Woo and Lee In Ah. Does he remember her or does he not? Why is she following him at the end? Does he not notice it? If he pretending? What does him not remembering the ring mean? I don't know... I hope to think that he might actually remember their happy memories. What do you think?!

Favourite Quote:

"The truth does not speak for itself...So I'm going to make it happen."

This quote says it all. Seo Jin Woo repeats this numerous times throughout the drama. This quote is basically the essence of the drama.

PICTURES OF THE CAST:


Video Credit: DramaSBS





0 Comments: